Sunday, January 1, 2012

How I got started

In the early summer of 2008 I was looking for something to read from the local library, I didn´t know what, but I´ve been reading memoirs and biographies for the last 10 years so I headed straight there. When I was going over the bookshelves on that section, I saw this one book that said “DHARMA PUNX” in big letters.
I got caught by the title so I instantly picked the book up, read it´s back cover and I thought I´d give it a chance.

After I got inspired by the book I started to study more about Buddhism. I found out things that really clicked to me. Like karma: finally somebody said how it is, that your actions have consequences. I´ve always felt that you can´t do whatever you want and get away with it with just a few prayers and that “bless me father” thing. And the fact that the Buddha was a person, just like you and me, who didn´t believe in worshiping anybody or anything and he personally asked you to question his teachings and try them out yourself. I found that awesome!

There is still so many mindblowing things and questions in Buddhism that I don´t have an answer, but at this very moment I don´t care.  All I know is that practice has made me more compassionate, kind and loving towards others, and sometimes even to me, and I´m eager to learn more.  Everyday…