Sunday, January 15, 2012

5 Precepts in my daily life

What I´d like to say first is that I´m no teacher and in no position to teach anybody. I´ve only practiced since 2008 and I´m just sharing my thoughts and my own reflections about Buddha´s teachings.  Maybe somebody could find them useful, to somebody these maybe obvious. BUT, if even one single person finds this interesting and worth of investigating more deeply, that would make me really happy,
´cause thru my own experience; I know how helpful these teachings can be in daily life.
There is a huge difference what I´m today mentally compared to what I was, say 5-10 years ago.
 
What I love about Buddha´s teachings is that they are tasks, not commandments.  The 5 Precepts and The Four Noble Truths should be included to everyday life ´cause you can´t separate your daily life and meditation from each other.  I´ve notices that thru my sittings.

If I haven´t been very skillful for some reason, it has immediate reflection to my sitting and I find it difficult to sit. Very easily I find myself on sidetrack (lost in the story, judging myself, planning how I should´ve react, etc.) and it´s very hard to concentrate and be present.  

What I thought what would be the hardest task on the Precepts (refraining from intoxicants and caring for my body and mind) has been the easiest one to follow, to my surprise. I don´t use any alcohol, I´ve never used drugs, and I exercise moderately. Alcohol use to be a huge problem to me, and it caused a lot of conflicts, and when I finally discovered that, it was an easy decision to make me stop. And again, from my own experience; you can´t force anybody to quit, they have to realize it themselves, and when they do, that´s the first and continuing step towards recovery.

Another easy one for me has been “refraining from taking that which is not given.” I would never steal or take what is not mine, and I never have. If you want something, you have to work for it to get it, in the mean time, practice contentment, don´t take what is not given or is not yours.

I undertake the mindfulness training of refraining from harming living creatures.”  This used to be really hard practice to me when I used to work as a bouncer to earn some extra cash.  First of all, I was always working, either as a carpenter or a bouncer, so it was pretty hard to be mindful ´cause I was tired all the time. And secondly, to see the suffering, what alcohol does to people, and I always thought that I was involved in it ´cause I was the one who let them in to the restaurant!
But it was a good practice too. I never had any physical conflicts; I always could talk some sense into them, so I´d like to think that I was practicing compassionate action as well. Needless to say I quit after six months.
Of course this practice involves all living beings that should never be harmed, but to meet with loving-kindness, compassion and understanding.

Refraining from harmful sexual activity and practicing responsibility in all my relationships.”
As much as I, everybody else too, should be mindful of our sexual energy.

Now, the hardest part: “refraining from harmful speech and practicing helpful speech.” In a working environment that is very ego based, I find it really hard to escape harmful speech. Usually it is headed to bosses, and I try to stay away from it, but sometimes you just can´t avoid it. So my practice right now is just to listen and not to participate. Of course harmful speech (lying, gossiping) can be done also by e-mail, phone, etc.  so we really should be mindful what we say.
And then again, hopefully I´ve now practiced helpful speech in this post, or at least I´d like to think that somebody thinks so.  
J